The other day I ran out of cookies for our regular evening chai(Indian Tea). Immediately the cookie came to mind is “Almond Cookies” because I have been baking these cookies for many years.
Back then, I used to make my own almond flour (as almond flour was not available) and used it with all- purpose flour. Those cookies were flat thin crispy tasty cookies. But now it is much easier to get almond flour. So I decided to bake the cookies with almond flour as the main flour without mixing with any other flour. Eggs are not my favorite, so these cookies are made with flax-egg. The cookies turned out to be delicious and now they are one of our favorite cookies to go with our chai.
For these cookies, I also added my daughter’s favorite chocolate chips and walnuts to make it little healthier. The cookies are crispier on the edges and a little chewier in the middle and have a unique taste. If you are following a gluten-free diet then this is for you.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cane sugar(brown)
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For 1 flax egg: Take 3 tbsp water. Add 1 tbsp flaxseed meal. Let it rest for 10 min.
- Preheat the oven for 350 F.
- Make flax egg. Keep aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Keep aside.
- I have used my kitchen aid standing mixer. Combine sugar and butter. Cream the butter on a low to medium speed for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture looks fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and flax egg. Mix on a high speed for about 2 min.
- Next add dry ingredients little by little(3-4 batches) mixing on a low speed until everything incorporated well.
- Fold in chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop a spoonful on a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 12-15 min or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let it cool for 10 min before transferring it to a wire rack.
Cookies are ready to serve.
I baked a few and stored the rest of the dough in the fridge for the later use. That chilled dough tends to flatten a bit but tasted delicious same as the other ones.
Notes: The placement of the cookies tends to affect the flatness and puffiness of the cookies. Always use the fresh baking powder/baking soda for good results.